1. What is a computer ?
- A computer is a device that accepts information (in the form of digitalized data) and manipulates it for some result based on a program or sequence of instructions on how the data is to be processed.
- A computer is an electronic device that manipulates information, or data. It has the ability to store, retrieve, and process data.
- You can use a computer to type documents, send email, and browse the Web. You can also use it to handle spreadsheets, accounting, database management, presentations, games, and more.
2. Why to use a computer ?
- work faster and more precise
- use one piece of information again in different documents
- make calculations without mistakes and correct your English spelling
- present your work better and more professional
- make as many copies and different versions of documents as you like
- store and keep track of your (electronic) documents
- send (electronic) mail and documents to distant relatives and business relations within a matter of minutes
- find information you need, available on one of the millions of computers that are worldwide connected to the internet
3. Basic parts of computer
The basic parts of a computer are the computer case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. Each part plays an important role whenever you use a computer.
The computer case is the metal and plastic box that contains the main components of the computer. It houses the motherboard, central processing unit (CPU), power supply, and more.