1. What is a computer ?
- A computer is a device that accepts information (in the form of digitalized data) and manipulates it for some result based on a program or sequence of instructions on how the data is to be processed.
- A computer is an electronic device that manipulates information, or data. It has the ability to store, retrieve, and process data.
- You can use a computer to type documents, send email, and browse the Web. You can also use it to handle spreadsheets, accounting, database management, presentations, games, and more.
2. Why to use a computer ?
- work faster and more precise
- use one piece of information again in different documents
- make calculations without mistakes and correct your English spelling
- present your work better and more professional
- make as many copies and different versions of documents as you like
- store and keep track of your (electronic) documents
- send (electronic) mail and documents to distant relatives and business relations within a matter of minutes
- find information you need, available on one of the millions of computers that are worldwide connected to the internet
3. Basic parts of computer
The basic parts of a computer are the computer case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. Each part plays an important role whenever you use a computer.
The computer case is the metal and plastic box that contains the main components of the computer. It houses the motherboard, central processing unit (CPU), power supply, and more.
Computer cases come in different shapes and sizes. The front of the case usually has an on/off switch and one or more optical drives.
The monitor works with a video